Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Quinoa: Southwestern Style

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't to sure about trying Quinoa for the first time.  In fact, I didn't even know how to pronounce it which made it sort of embarrassing difficult to ask the clerk at the local grocery store.

 "Excuse me kind service clerk, do you have "ki-no-ah", errr, "kee-no-ah", umm...."that grainy stuff?"

Luckily for me I was able to figure out the correct pronunciation and therefore come home with a big ol' bag of the stuff.


There are many recipes for Quinoa, but I have to say one of my favorites is Quinoa Southwestern Style.

Quinoa Southwestern Style

What You Need:
- 1 C Quinoa
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 C frozen corn
- cumin (to taste)
- dried oregano (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 TBL olive oil

What To Do:
- In sauce pan cook Quinoa according to packaging
- In skillet heat up 1 TBL olive oil.  Throw in chopped yellow onion and let cook for 5-7 min or until soft.
- Toss in the rinsed black beans, and the frozen corn.   Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat 5-7 min.
-Throw in the diced tomatoes and avocado and stir until warm and all is mixed together.  Sprinkle in cumin and oregano to your desired taste.
-Once the quinoa has cooked go ahead and throw that into the black bean mixture and stir stir stir until well blended.
- Serve with shredded cheese (for the kids) and hot sauce (for the husband)



Verdict:  My whole family LOVED this meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment